June 22, 2013
I just got back from San Diego for the Data Governance and Information Quality (DGIQ) conference. It was a fantastic time full of both brain-filling lectures and beatiful weather. I didn’t get too much time to wander around (the conference was from 8-5:30 every day), but I did snap off a good number of photos as we walked back and forth to dinner or the conference itself.
I don’t feel like writing a long-hand post, so I’ll just jot down a couple of things to note/remember:
- I really need to bring or otherwise buy some sunscreen. Even though we were inside for most of the day, some lunches were outside. I ended up with a nice tan, but things could have turned for the worse.
- The tex-mex food is world class. Having a live mariachi band was awesome!
- Never count on good food being present at conferences. Awful food was abundant, and I could have done a better job at bringing some fruit in my backpack.
- It is really cool to see everyone moving around on skateboards and bikes. Bike lanes were everywhere and pretty wide, so that was the preferred commuting method for the locals. I wish it were more flat here in NoVa for skating.
- Over and over we were drilled with the fact that executive sponsorship of a DG program is vital. Got it!
- I was happy to find that our method of data matching is similar to those employed elsewhere. Our architecture was an almost exact fit too, which gives me a great sense of comfort that we didn’t end up going in a totally wrong direction.
- We really need to use a metadata repository. It would help out a lot of different things.
- Comraderie was great. I went with three great people and they made the experience much better than going alone. Thanks ladies!
Anyway, onto the pictures:
The view from the Catamaran
Disheveled side porch
Alleyway just off the beach
The view from my balcony
The bay as seen from the bus
Walking a bit uptown in search of some medicine
Looking out over the Pacific
Try the mahi and you won't regret it
Old school beach bum mobile
This guy wanted to see the beach as much as we did!
The homes were amazing to see. Just a couple million...
Not a bad way to end the day
Disco or home? You decide.
...now here's a place I can afford
Local coffee? Yes please!
My favorite lifeguard post shot
Right near the alehouse where we ate on day 2 (yeah, I retroed it out)
Old Town, dinner for day 3
Someone won at king of the hill!
Walking over the bridge, looking back at our hotel
Looking out over the bay
The path from the bay to the ocean
Someone's back yard
Staying out of the sun
Looking up might have gotten me the best shot of the trip!
This is Inguss.
Inguss loves his skateboard, as does everyone else at the beach.
Pano of the view from my balcony
The bay lights up as we walk back to the hotel
The bay during the day